Monday 10 July 2017

Korean actor drops out of American TV show due to racial wage gap


Korean-American actors Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park withdrew from the American TV series, "Hawaii Five-O".  It was reported that both actors received 10-15% lower than their white counterparts.  Though CBS offered 'large and significant' offers to both actors, they made the difficult decision of leaving the show due to the still prevalent wage difference.

Daniel wrote to his fans about the issue on Facebook, "Though I made myself available to come back, CBS and I weren't able to agree to terms on a new contract, so I made the difficult choice not to continue.  I'll end by saying that though transitions can be difficult, I encourage us all to look beyond the disappointment of this moment to the bigger picture."

"The path to equality is rarely easy.  But I hope you can be excited for the future. I am.  I've got new acting projects on the horizon, as a producer, my company has its first show... The Good Doctor, set to air this fall on ABC.  There's a lot to look forward to and I'll be sure to share it with you."

Daum: Korean actor, drops out of American drama series due to pay gap.. "Difficult decision"

1. [+9190, -31] It must have been a tough decision for them.  They seem to have thought about it from a bigger picture rather than just a personal decision.  Fighting

2. [+7489, -117] Let's start by not discriminating ourselves too~!!!  I need to start with myself.  We need to put ourselves in their shoes and think about how much it hurts to be discriminated against.

3. [+5185, -33] Don't discriminate.  It's annoying.

4. [+1210, -4] Hawaii Five-O won't be entertaining without them though?

5. [+1053, -5] It's not an easy decision but you receive big opportunities for the stepping stones you bravely start on.  Wise decision.

6. [+1035, -10] There's a lot of people who think everything America does will be great.  Truthfully if you've lived in the states, America says they're a country who is logical and rational.  But it feels like that only applies to white people.  Since there's more discussion on black issues, they seem to be headed towards a better direction.  On the other hand, the racism on Asian Americans is off the charts.  Please get rid of the perfect fantasies you might have about America.

7. [+768, -1] They made such a tough decision.

8. [+746, -5] They did good. The racial discrimination is really harsh.

9. [+725, -1] I'm a fan who has watched all the past seasons.  If both of these actors leave, the show won't be any fun at allㅠㅠ I can't believe I can't watch the new season. Now what do I watch?

10. [+656, -1] Let's give them a round of applause for their brave decisions!

11. [+501, -2] I'd get it if it was a pay difference between a lead and sub actor but if their roles are pretty much equal and they're getting 10% less, then I can't see that as anything else but a wage gap.

SOURCES:
Daum: Korean actor, drops out of American drama due to pay gap.. "Difficult decision"
Facebook: Daniel Dae Kim - A message to my fans about Hawaii 5-0
Variety: CBS on 'Hawaii Five-0' exits: Made 'large and significant' salary offers to Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park

0 comments:

Post a Comment